- The SSAC Tournament Board reserves the right to change, add or amend any of the following rules at any time and to notify participants of any such changes no later than the Captain’s Meeting on 6th February 2019 starting at 7:30 pm.
- Fishing is scheduled for 3 days: 7, 8 and 9 February, 2019.
- The tournament committee reserves the right to declare a lay day on one of the fishing days, in the event of inclement weather.
- International Game Fish Association (IGFA) rules shall apply to this Sea Spray Abaco Challenge Fishing Tournament except where they are inconsistent with the special Sea Spray Abaco Challenge rules listed below in which case Sea Spray Abaco Challenge rules shall apply.
- It is the responsibility of each angler to be familiar with these SSAC rules and the IGFA rules. IGFA rules can be viewed or downloaded by clicking on the link provided here.
- All registered anglers must also comply with and abide by all applicable Bahamian and United States Federal laws regarding fishing licenses, size limits, bag limits, species seasons, tackle restrictions, speed limits, etc.
- Any infractions of the applicable rules will disqualify the angler(s) and boat/team from the entire tournament. Any disqualified anglers will not be entitled to any refund.
CHECKOUT – No checkout is required for but boats leaving to fish for the tournament but boats may not leave the dock prior to 6:30 am on fishing days.
ANGLERS, BOATS AND LINES – No professional anglers allowed in this tournament. If you have made a living as a captain, deckhand or paid angler at any time in the last 12 months, you are only allowed to participate as a captain or deckhand. Only registered anglers and boats may fish the SSAC. Boat entry fee includes four anglers. Additional anglers may be added for $275.00 each, with no limit on how many additional anglers per team. Boat and angler substitutions must be made with the approval from SSAC before 7:30 am, the start of official fishing time on Thursday, February 7th, 2019.
BAIT, TACKLE, CHUMMING – Live bait, dead bait and artificial lures are permitted. The only chumming permitted is with ground chum or dead chunk bait. The use of live bait daisy chains and live bait chumming is prohibited. 80-pound test line is the maximum manufacturers stated pound test line that can be fished. Braided line is legal. No electric reels or wire lines allowed in any categories.
ELIGIBLE SPECIES – Wahoo, Mahi-Mahi, Blackfin and Yellowfin Tuna are the eligible species for this SSAC tournament except for the separate grouper category. Grouper Category is a separate trolling only category.
OFFICIAL FISHING TIME – Fishing days and times are Thursday February 7th and Friday February 8th, 7:30 am – 3:00 pm and Saturday, February 9th 7:30 am – 2:00 pm.
WEIGH STATION – The weigh station will be open at Sea Spray Resort & Marina from 2:30 pm – 5:00 pm on Thursday and Friday and 2:00 pm – 4:30 pm on Saturday. Teams/Boats can weigh two of each eligible Wahoo, Mahi-Mahi or Tuna, per day for a total of six fish per day, except in the Grouper category where Teams/Boats can weigh one Grouper per Team/Boat, per day.
SCORING – Scoring is based on one point per pound with a minimum qualifying weight of ten pounds per fish. The winning Teams/Boats will be determined by adding the total weight accrued during the three day event. Optional value added category winners are determined by the largest fish per species over the ten-pound minimum weight requirement. The Top Three category will be awarded to the three largest Wahoo, Mahi-Mahi or Tuna. Grouper points do not count in the overall scoring.
LOCAL CHAMPION AWARD – To be eligible for this award, the Team/Boat must consist of at least two Bahamian citizens registered as anglers.
GROUPER TROLLING CHAMPION – Teams/Boats can weigh one grouper per day with a minimum qualifying weight of ten pounds. No live baiting, trolling only with dead bait or artificial lures. No wire lines permitted. NASSAU GROUPER ARE A PROTECTED SPECIES AND ARE ILLEGAL TO POSSESS. ANY NASSAU GROUPER CAUGHT MUST BE RELEASED. FAILURE TO OBSERVE ANY AND ALL BAHAMIAN FISHING LAWS WILL RESULT IN TEAM DISQUALIFICATION FOR THE TOURNAMENT AND POSSIBLE PERSECUTION FROM THE AUTHORITIES.
ENTRY FORMS – At least one angler from each Team/Boat must complete and sign the entire entry form as the authorized agent of all registered anglers on the Team/Boat and represent that every angler has read, understands and agrees to all SSAC rules.